Here is a round up of the first party Nintendo Wii games that were announced at yesterdays press conference.
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Controlled by a group of evil Tikis, the animals in Donkey Kong Island have raided Donkey Kong’s Banana Hoard and stolen his stash of bananas – and he understandably wants them back. Retro Studios brings Donkey Kong™ back in a new side-scrolling adventure with familiar characters and new levels that reignite the passion players had for the Super NES™ original.
- Retro Studios faithfully restores everything that made the original series great, from barrel cannons to mine carts, and then builds on those elements with stunning graphics and new layers of depth to the world and game play. The game offers the traditional side-scrolling experience everyone loved, but with levels created in fully rendered 3-D environments.
- Diddy Kong™ joins the quest. With his trusty backpack, he can produce a jet pack or Peanut Pop Guns to give Donkey Kong more abilities.
- For the first time ever, the franchise features the ability for two people to play together at the same time – one as Donkey Kong, one as Diddy Kong. Players can navigate the levels separately or as one unit. Diddy Kong can ride on Donkey Kong’s back and hop off whenever he pleases, allowing novice players to ride on Donkey Kong’s back through more challenging areas of the game.
- Hidden items, puzzle pieces and other surprises are found all through the jungle. Spell out K-O-N-G by the end of each level to earn an extra bonus.
- Motion controls give players a real feeling of control. Players move Donkey Kong using the Control Stick on the Nunchuk™ controller and can shake the Wii Remote™ controller to make Donkey Kong slap the ground.
- Vibrant colors, beautiful graphics and fun characters draw players in. Even people who have never played a Donkey Kong game before can pick up a controller and start collecting loads of bananas.
- Every level offers new fun and new challenges. Sometimes Donkey Kong is running through the jungle, sometimes his action takes place on a tropical beach and other times he must become a master of timing as he jumps chasms in a mine cart.
FlingSmash™ combines the hands-on fun of tennis with the nonstop action and instant gratification of pinball. When the tropical Suthon Island is invaded by the evil Omminus, the ball-shaped hero, Zip, is summoned to save the day. Using the Wii Remote™ controller with the Wii MotionPlus™ accessory, you’ll fling Zip at targets to smash your way across eight colorful worlds. Use the Wii Remote controller like a racket and watch Zip bounce around like a pinball to smash through oncoming barriers and enemies in this action sidescroller.
- Attach the Wii MotionPlus accessory to your Wii Remote controller to precisely fling and smash your way through enemies and past barriers with a fun combination of racket motions and pinball game play. Hit Zip and watch as he bounces around like a pinball, smashing everything in his path.
- A second player can join the action using an additional Wii Remote controller and Wii MotionPlus accessory (each sold separately) to control Zip’s friend, Pip.
- During the game, Zip and Pip travel through eight fast-action side-scrolling worlds, each culminating in a boss battle. Each level offers a unique challenge as Zip might be shrunk down, fattened up or turned into a heavy steel ball. Other levels turn the action on its head to scroll vertically instead of horizontally.
- The vividly colored worlds include sandy beaches, lush tropical treetops and even underwater grottos.
- FlingSmash has eight unlockable mini-games and eight extra levels – all playable by one or two players.
- For left-handed players, the game will flip and position Zip on the left side of the screen.
Kirby’s Epic Yarn
Kirby’s first console platform game since the Nintendo 64™ days introduces an amazing new look based on animated yarn and a world of cloth and textiles. The creative approach is woven directly into the game play and allows the ever-morphing Kirby™ to take on a variety of new forms. It’s a one-of-a-kind platformer that lets players explore high and low for hidden objects and fun adventure.
- The look of the world is stunning, but it’s also interactive. Pulling on stray threads might reveal hidden areas. When Kirby literally goes behind the scenes, the virtual fabric warps and bends to show his location.
- Thanks to his versatile yarn composition, Kirby can take on a variety of forms both in his common actions and when he transforms into powerful vehicles. When Kirby dashes, he zips around as a car. In water, he turns into a submarine. At times he can even transform into a massive robotic tank, a UFO and other vehicles.
- Two players can play through the entire game together*.
- Gems and collectible items are scattered throughout the environments for players to find.